This national favourite, eaten around mid-morning can be seen sold all over Nicaragua by street vendors.
- Prep: 25 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Recipe serves: 3
- 1 lb yucca or cassava, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cabbage
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup pineapple vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 ozs crunchy pork chicharrón or pork rinds, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon habanero chile (known as congo chile in Nicaragua), optional
- Banana leaves
- Peel the yucca and cut in to pieces. Place in a pot with the garlic and fill with enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower to medium heat. Cook with the lid half covering the pot until the yucca is soft when tested with a knife. Add some salt and cook for five more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad by finely slicing the cabbage and place in a bowl. Combine with the diced tomato and onion. Season with the salt, vinegar and oil, then set aside.
- To serve, place a banana leaf over each plate and add a few pieces of yuca and chicharrón on top. Then cover with the cabbage salad. Add a few habanero chiles if you feel adventurous and serve immediately.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Expert
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is a much valued Travel Expert in our Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tours sales team.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Expert
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours sales team.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.
Ben Line - Travel Expert
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Head of Sales.