This national favourite, eaten around mid-morning can be seen sold all over Nicaragua by street vendors.
- Prep: 25 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Recipe serves: 3
- 1 lb yucca or cassava, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cabbage
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup pineapple vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 ozs crunchy pork chicharrón or pork rinds, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon habanero chile (known as congo chile in Nicaragua), optional
- Banana leaves
- Peel the yucca and cut in to pieces. Place in a pot with the garlic and fill with enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower to medium heat. Cook with the lid half covering the pot until the yucca is soft when tested with a knife. Add some salt and cook for five more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad by finely slicing the cabbage and place in a bowl. Combine with the diced tomato and onion. Season with the salt, vinegar and oil, then set aside.
- To serve, place a banana leaf over each plate and add a few pieces of yuca and chicharrón on top. Then cover with the cabbage salad. Add a few habanero chiles if you feel adventurous and serve immediately.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Expert
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is a much valued Travel Expert in our Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tours sales team.
Lina Fuller - Travel Expert
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba (Argentina) to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.
Sophie Barber - Travel Expert
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia and beyond to Antarctica.
Evie Oswald - Travel Expert
It's hard to believe that Evie has had time to cram so much in to her life so far. Having lived as a child in the Americas and Europe she found herself immediately attracted to Latin America.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Expert
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.