Vegan Enchiladas with Coriander and Avocado CreamSarah Bradley - Director
Our Real Latin America Expert
Sarah Bradley - Director
Managing Director Sarah Bradley joined as tour leader in 1987. Her vast travel experience and understanding of Latin America is invaluable. Book with Journey Latin America.
Sweet potato, black bean, spinach and pepper vegan enchiladas.
- Prep: 35 minutes
- Cook: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 handful sweet potato, chopped (or zucchini)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 handfuls spinach, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- Enchilada sauce or pasta sauce (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 - 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic power
- 1 tsp chilli powder, to taste
- 4 whole grain tortilla wraps
- Green onion & chopped cilantro, to garnish
Ingredients: Avocado cream
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- Salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F and grab a baking dish large enough for 4 enchiladas. Pre-cook the chopped sweet potato, by simmering it in a small pot of water for about 5 - 10 minutes until just tender. Do not overcook. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or pot, add 1 tbsp oil and bring to medium to low heat. Add in the chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until translucent. Add in garlic and reduce heat to low and cook for a couple more minutes. Now add the chopped pepper, pre-cooked sweet potato, drained black beans, and chopped spinach. Cook for about 5 - 7 more minutes on medium to low heat.
- Now add in your enchilada or pasta sauce. Stir well, and add in your seasonings: nutritional yeast (optional), cumin, fresh lime juice, salt, garlic powder, chilli powder - all to taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Stir well.
- Scoop about 3/4 - 1 cup of the mixture on to the bottom of your casserole dish and spread out in a thin layer. Scoop about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of the mixture onto each tortilla and wrap, placing the fold down on the casserole dish. Repeat for the remaining 3 tortillas and leave a bit of filling left to spread over the top. (Sprinkle with vegan cheese if preferred).
- Bake tortillas at 350F for 18 - 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make your avocado coriander cream by blending together all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
- When enchiladas are cooked, remove from oven and pour the remainder of your enchilada sauce over top. Serve with the avocado coriander cream and garnish with more chopped coriander and green onion.
- Season to taste and enjoy while they're hot!
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Consultant
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Lina Fuller - Travel Consultant
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Consultant
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is an invaluable part of our Group Tours team.
Ben Line - Travel Consultant
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Manager of the Tailor-made Department.
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Consultant
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made team.
Sophie Barber - Travel Consultant
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia.