Vegan Enchiladas with Coriander and Avocado CreamSarah Bradley - Director
Our Real Latin America Expert
Sarah Bradley - Director
Managing Director Sarah Bradley joined as tour leader in 1987. Her vast travel experience and understanding of Latin America is invaluable. Book with Journey Latin America.
Sweet potato, black bean, spinach and pepper vegan enchiladas.
- Prep: 35 minutes
- Cook: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 handful sweet potato, chopped (or zucchini)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 handfuls spinach, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- Enchilada sauce or pasta sauce (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 - 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic power
- 1 tsp chilli powder, to taste
- 4 whole grain tortilla wraps
- Green onion & chopped cilantro, to garnish
Ingredients: Avocado cream
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- Salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F and grab a baking dish large enough for 4 enchiladas. Pre-cook the chopped sweet potato, by simmering it in a small pot of water for about 5 - 10 minutes until just tender. Do not overcook. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or pot, add 1 tbsp oil and bring to medium to low heat. Add in the chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until translucent. Add in garlic and reduce heat to low and cook for a couple more minutes. Now add the chopped pepper, pre-cooked sweet potato, drained black beans, and chopped spinach. Cook for about 5 - 7 more minutes on medium to low heat.
- Now add in your enchilada or pasta sauce. Stir well, and add in your seasonings: nutritional yeast (optional), cumin, fresh lime juice, salt, garlic powder, chilli powder - all to taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Stir well.
- Scoop about 3/4 - 1 cup of the mixture on to the bottom of your casserole dish and spread out in a thin layer. Scoop about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of the mixture onto each tortilla and wrap, placing the fold down on the casserole dish. Repeat for the remaining 3 tortillas and leave a bit of filling left to spread over the top. (Sprinkle with vegan cheese if preferred).
- Bake tortillas at 350F for 18 - 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make your avocado coriander cream by blending together all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
- When enchiladas are cooked, remove from oven and pour the remainder of your enchilada sauce over top. Serve with the avocado coriander cream and garnish with more chopped coriander and green onion.
- Season to taste and enjoy while they're hot!
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Evie Oswald - Travel Consultant
It’s hard to believe that Evie has had time to cram so much in to her life so far. Having lived as a child in the Americas and Europe she found herself immediately attracted to Latin America.
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Consultant
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made team.
Hannah Waterhouse - Travel Consultant
Hannah had an early introduction to Latin America when her family moved to Ecuador and she returned to study in Buenos Aires for a year before backpacking across the continent.
Sophie Barber - Travel Consultant
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Consultant
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our Sales team.
Lina Fuller - Travel Consultant
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.