Valentine’s Day Peruvian TejasLina Fuller - Travel Consultant
Our Real Latin America Expert
Lina Fuller - Travel Consultant
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
A traditional confection from the Ica region of Peru, Tejas are a sweet mix of moulded dulce de leche and dried fruit or nuts dipped in a chocolate fondant. This recipe uses melted white chocolate for a faster but equally delicious version. Wrap your finished Tejas in a small clear wrapping and tie with a nice bow to make the perfect gift this Valentine’s Day.
Please note – this recipe requires ingredients to be prepared and left to set in the refrigerator overnight.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Recipe serves: 6 (makes approx 24 tejas candies)
- 475ml Dulce de leche
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 220g White chocolate chops or chopped white chocolate
- 12-15 Pitted prunes, cut in halves
- 100g Macademia nuts
- Add dulce de leche and butter to a pan. Place over low/medium heat, stirring until thickens.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Leave to cool overnight in the refrigerator.
- Scoop out small balls of the mixture and shape in hands to a cylindrical shape.
- Press 2/3 macadamia nuts and half a prune into the top of each. Place in the freezer.
- Bring an inch of water to the boil in a saucepan. Pour white chocolate chips into a heat-proof bowl. Turn off heat and balance heat-proof bowl on top of saucepan.
- Stir white chocolate chips until melted.
- Remove candies from freezer and dip in the melted chocolate. (Use only half the chocolate).
- Place candies in refrigerator to harden. Keep chocolate warm by placing bowl over saucepan of warm water.
- When chocolate has set on candies, dip in melted chocolate for a second time.
- Return to fridge to chill and set firm.
Wrap candies in clear plastic wrapping paper and tie with a red bow for the perfect Valentine’s Day gift.