Three Healthy Mexican Tortilla Wrap RecipesLaura Rendell-Dunn - Product & Marketing
Our Real Latin America Expert
Laura Rendell-Dunn - Product & Marketing
With her Brazilian mother and Anglo-Peruvian husband, trilingual Laura has an insight into Latin America of rare depth and passion, making her the ideal spokesperson for all the region has to offer.
It's that time again: after December's overindulgences we're all intent on a virtuous January. But luckily when it comes to that most perennial of New Year's Resolutions – the diet – there's no call for self-sacrifice, since these simple Mexican recipes make choosing the healthy option easy (not to mention yummy). Belt notches may be straining this January but with food this tasty, your will power needn't.
- All recipe serves: 2
CHILLI BEAN BURRITOS:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 white onion
- 1 hot chilli
- 200g black eyed or pinto beans (not dried)
- 200g kidney or aduki beans (in water)
- 100g cheddar, grated
- 2 large wholemeal flour tortillas
- Salt and pepper to taste For salsa:
- 1 large tomato
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1 red pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 red onion
- 1 large bunch of parsley
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- For a more filling version: add cooked rice
1. It's worth making the salsa in advance so you can let it rest in the fridge before use, intensifying the flavours. To make it, dice the tomato, cucumber and pepper into small cubes, grate the carrot and onion, and chop the parsley finely. Next mix them all together in a small bowl and add a generous amount of salt and olive oil. Set aside.
2. Roughly chop the onion, finely chop the chilli and crush the garlic. Cook them together in a small amount of oil, over a medium heat, then once the onion is softened and translucent add the beans, including their juices. Cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the water has largely evaporated and the beans are beginning to break up slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Lay out each tortilla on a plate, add your filling, top with grated cheese and salsa and roll up into a burrito – here's how. Serve hot.
- 200g skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- Large handful of coriander
- 1 cup of chopped iceberg lettuce
- 2 large wholemeal flour tortillas
1. Fry the chicken strips in a small amount of oil and salt, making sure they are cooked through. Reserve and keep warm.
2. To the same pan, add the beaten eggs to make an omelette. Remove from pan once ready and slice into strips with a sharp knife.
3. Lay an even amount of omelette in the centre top half of each tortilla, followed by the chicken and the tomato, coriander and lettuce. Roll up the tortillas, cut each one in half, and serve warm.
FISH TACOS WITH SALSA AND GUACAMOLE:
See our Mexican dip recipes for salsa and guacamole ingredients and instructions (halve quantities).
- 2 fillets of white fish
- Sprinkling of flour
- 4 small flour tortillas
- 2 tbsps low-fat sour cream if desired
1. Prepare the dips as per instructions shortly before they are required.
2. Warm the tortillas in the oven.
3. Meanwhile heat a generous amount of oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Sprinkle the flour and a small amount of salt onto a clean chopping board. Quarter the fillets and turn them in the flour until coated on both sides.
4. Add the fish to the pan and allow to brown before turning over and cooking on the other side until it is also golden brown, then remove from the pan.
5. Split the fish pieces between the tortillas and top with the dips. Fold the tortillas in half and serve at once.
Tortilla wraps are so versatile that there's no end of variations to try. No doubt you'll have some ideas of your own, but here are some of our other favourite fillings:
Mexican BLT: bacon (or chorizo if you prefer), tomato salsa and cos lettuce.
Greek salad: tomato, cucumber, red onion, mint and tzatziki with herb salad and avocado.
Middle Eastern: falafel, houmous, grilled halloumi and tabouli.
Tuna crunch: tuna mayo (alternatively we recommend smoked mackerel mixed with crème fraiche and lemon juice - sounds odd but it works!), spring onions, sliced peppers and red onion.