Perfect Mexican dips
It's well worth the effort of making your own Mexican salsa and guacamole - shop-bought versions just don't compare with the fresh zesty flavour of these easy homemade dips.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
- 2 avocados
- 1 tomato
- 1 small white onion
- Juice of 1-2 limes or lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the tomatoes and onion.
- Remove skin and stones from the avocados and mash in a mixing bowl - retaining a slightly lumpy texture.
- Add the tomatoes and onion, lime juice and plenty of salt and mix well. Serve immediately.
'Pico de Gallo' Salsa
- 2 tomatoes (best quality you can get – should be sweet and flavoursome)
- 1 small white onion
- 1/2 a red chilli pepper
- Handful of coriander
- Handful of parsley (optional)
- Juice of a lime or around half a lemon
- Generous sprinkling of salt
- Dice the tomatoes and onion into very small cubes, and chop the chilli and herbs finely.
- Mix together with the juice and salt. Ideally leave to rest before serving.
A classic way to enjoy these dips is over nachos – simply fill a large oven tray with tortilla chips and cover with the guacamole and salsa. Pour sour cream over any uncovered areas and finish with grated cheese, then heat in the oven for around 15 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Hannah Waterhouse - Travel Expert
Hannah had an early introduction to Latin America when her family moved to Ecuador and she returned to study in Buenos Aires for a year before backpacking across the continent.
Evie Oswald - Travel Expert
It's hard to believe that Evie has had time to cram so much in to her life so far. Having lived as a child in the Americas and Europe she found herself immediately attracted to Latin America.
Sophie Barber - Travel Expert
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia and beyond to Antarctica.
Ben Line - Travel Expert
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Head of Sales.
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.