Mary’s Chilean Corn CasseroleMary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Our Real Latin America Expert
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
- 6 fresh ears of corn, kernels grated
- 450g ground beef
- 200g chicken breast, diced and cooked
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup black olives
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 tbsps butter
- 1 cup milk
- 8 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsps sugar
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan heat the grated corn kernels, basil, salt, pepper and butter. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes; set aside.
- In a frying pan heat the oil; add onions and fry until softened. Add ground beef and cook until lightly browned. Season with salt, pepper and cumin and cook for a few more minutes.
- Spoon the meat filling into a baking dish; then arrange the egg slices, olives and raisins over the top in layers. Place cooked chicken pieces on top and cover with the reserved corn mixture. Sprinkle with sugar and bake at 400ºF for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Expert
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Hannah Waterhouse - Travel Expert
Hannah had an early introduction to Latin America when her family moved to Ecuador and she returned to study in Buenos Aires for a year before backpacking across the continent.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Lina Fuller - Travel Expert
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba (Argentina) to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Evie Oswald - Travel Expert
It's hard to believe that Evie has had time to cram so much in to her life so far. Having lived as a child in the Americas and Europe she found herself immediately attracted to Latin America.