Mary’s Chilean Corn CasseroleMary Anne Nelson - Travel Consultant
Our Real Latin America Expert
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Consultant
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made team.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
- 6 fresh ears of corn, kernels grated
- 450g ground beef
- 200g chicken breast, diced and cooked
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup black olives
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 tbsps butter
- 1 cup milk
- 8 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsps sugar
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan heat the grated corn kernels, basil, salt, pepper and butter. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes; set aside.
- In a frying pan heat the oil; add onions and fry until softened. Add ground beef and cook until lightly browned. Season with salt, pepper and cumin and cook for a few more minutes.
- Spoon the meat filling into a baking dish; then arrange the egg slices, olives and raisins over the top in layers. Place cooked chicken pieces on top and cover with the reserved corn mixture. Sprinkle with sugar and bake at 400ºF for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Evie Oswald - Travel Consultant
It’s hard to believe that Evie has had time to cram so much in to her life so far. Having lived as a child in the Americas and Europe she found herself immediately attracted to Latin America.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Consultant
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Consultant
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our Sales team.
Ben Line - Travel Consultant
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Manager of the Tailor-made Department.
Lina Fuller - Travel Consultant
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Consultant
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.