Latin Cocktails We Love
We've selected our favourite cocktail recipes that conjure brilliant memories of our adventures in Latin America.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
Strawberry Daiquiris from Cuba transport me to the Plaza Mayor, Trinidad and watching salsa in the living square
- 35ml white rum
- 4 strawberries
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp strawberry liqueur
- 25ml lime juice
- Blend or thoroughly mash the strawberries and add to the other ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well – for at least 3 minutes.
- (Optional) Pour a small amount of sugar onto a clean surface such as a chopping board, wet the rim of your cocktail glass and trace the edge through the sugar until the rim is evenly coated before serving.
Margartia from Mexico reminds Megan of watching the sun set over a stunning beach in Isla Mujeres
- 2 measures tequila
- 1 measure cointreau or triple sec
- 1 measure freshly squeezed lime juice
- Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Shake well and pour into a chilled cocktail glass, coating the rim with salt (see daiquiri method above) if desired.
Caipirina from Brazil takes Tom back to the vivid colours and vibrant dancing at Olinda Carnival
- Approx. 2 measures cachaça
- 1 lime (whole)
- Approx. 1 tbsp refined sugar
- Quarter the lime lengthwise, then cut each quarter in half crosswise and add to a tumbler.
- Add a generous tablespoon or two of sugar, then muddle the lime pieces by pounding and pressing with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved into the lime juice.
- Top up the glass with crushed ice and then pour cachaça over the ice until the glass is almost full. Mix with a cocktail stirrer.
- If the flavour is too strong, add more sugar to taste.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Expert
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is a much valued Travel Expert in our Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tours sales team.
Ben Line - Travel Expert
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Head of Sales.
Sophie Barber - Travel Expert
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia and beyond to Antarctica.
Hannah Waterhouse - Travel Expert
Hannah had an early introduction to Latin America when her family moved to Ecuador and she returned to study in Buenos Aires for a year before backpacking across the continent.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Expert
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours sales team.