‘Chifa’ Beef Skewers
Comida chifa is a Peruvian phenomenon caused by the mass immigration of Chinese to the country during the early 20th century. It refers to a fusion cuisine created when the Chinese came to adapt their recipes to Peruvian ingredients and styles – a combination that was warmly welcomed by the native community. Indeed, Lima now has over 6,000 chifa restaurants, ranging from the humblest shack to the most upmarket of restaurants. Most Chinese dishes have a chifa equivalent, but here's one of our favourites: a starter of marinated beef skewers.
- Prep: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Cook: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 6
- 1kg Beef, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Ginger, finely chopped
- Canned pineapple
- 1 Pepper, cut into 2cm squares
- Mix the sugar, lemon juice, soy sauce, oil, ginger and garlic in a mixing bowl before adding the meat, allowing it to marinate in the mixture for up to 3 hours.
- Fry the marinated meat over a high heat until almost done to your liking.
- Remove from heat and skewer the meat pieces, alternated with pineapple and pepper, on kebab sticks.
- Bake in the oven for ten minutes or until the pepper softens and the pineapple begins to brown.