- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 15 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Recipe serves: 12
For the pastry:
- 450g (1lb) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300ml (1/2 pint) warm water
For the filling:
- 3-4 fresh chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons white cheese (such as crumbled feta)
- A little milk or egg to bind
- Mix the flour with the salt and work in enough water to make a soft dough. Wrap in clingfilm and leave aside for 30 minutes to swell. Meanwhile, mix the filling ingredients together.
- When you're ready to fry, tear off small pieces of dough about the size of a walnut, then roll each piece into a little ball and flatten in the palm of your hand to make a small round disk - the thinner the better.
- Add a little of the stuffing in the middle of the disk, brush the edge with water and fold one half over the other to enclose the filling.
- Heat enough oil to submerge the pasties. One by one, slip them into the very hot oil and fry, turning once crisp and golden.
- Once cooked on both sides, transfer each pasty to a plate covered with kitchen roll and allow to cool a little while the oil is absorbed.
- Serve and enjoy!