"These are a real staple in my household: so simple to whip up from just a few ingredients, and super tasty. We use a trick borrowed from Nigella to get those satisfying griddle marks on either side!"
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 very ripe avocados, chopped into thin slices water
- 150g mature cheddar, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion
- 2 red chillis, finely chopped
- Juice of a lime
- Fry the onion and chilli in olive oil until softened.
- Place the first of the tortillas on a flat surface and add a spoonful of the cooked onion and chilli, about a quarter of an avocado (chopped) and a sprinkling of cheese and lime juice to the middle of the bottom half only, so that it can be neatly folded in half like a turnover without any ingredients spilling out of the sides.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat (without oil). Meanwhile, fill a saucepan with heavy items such as bottles of sauce etc. Place the folded, filled tortilla on the griddle pan, then put the heavy saucepan on top to apply pressure. Cook for about two minutes, then turn and cover the other side with the pan for another minute or two. This should leave marks on either side, and the cheese should have melted the tortilla together.
- Keep warm (or just eat as you go!) and repeat process for the other seven tortillas.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Consultant
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is an invaluable part of our Group Tours team.
Lina Fuller - Travel Consultant
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Sophie Barber - Travel Consultant
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Consultant
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our Sales team.
Ben Line - Travel Consultant
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Manager of the Tailor-made Department.
Evie Oswald - Travel Consultant
It’s hard to believe that Evie has had time to cram so much in to her life so far. Having lived as a child in the Americas and Europe she found herself immediately attracted to Latin America.