Arroz Zambito – A Peruvian Twist to Rice Pudding-
Our Real Latin America Expert
Arroz Zambito is a classic Peruvian treat. Containing coconut, raisins and nuts, it's a sweet twist to the traditional rice pudding.
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 40 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 tsp aniseed
- 5 1/2 cup Arborio rice (can be found in most supermarkets)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- Put milk, cinnamon, cloves, aniseed, Arborio rice, and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, lower the heat, and simmer until the rice is al dente and the milk is almost evaporated, (about 20 minutes).
- Add evaporated milk and water, chancaca, grated coconut, and raisins, and continue cooking over medium low heat until the chancaca melts, the rice is very soft, and the texture of the dessert is creamy, but still somewhat liquid.
- Turn off the heat and discard the cinnamon sticks and the cloves.
- Add butter and vanilla, stirring. Cool to room temperature.
- Serve in nice glasses, and sprinkle with pecans.