Acarajé – Brazilian seafood fritters
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 10
Ingredients for fritters:
- 2 cups of black-eyed peas; soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp (optional - but easily available in Chinese supermarkets)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 11/2 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Dendê (palm) oil (or any vegetable oil)
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1/2 cup dried shrimp
- 1/2 cup fresh king prawns
- 1 cup roughly chopped onion
- 1 tsp peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 chopped red pepper
- 2 tbsp oil (as above)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
Instructions to make the fritters:
- Rub the peel off the beans (pre-soaking makes this easier).
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and keep going until you have a smooth purée.
- Break up the mixture into ten balls of equal size.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and deep-fry the balls of dough for around 7-8 minutes or until crisp on all sides.
- Transfer onto paper towels to absorb excess oil and, when cool enough, slice down the centre of each fritter and spread with seafood filling.
Instructions to make the filling:
Soak the dried shrimp in cold water, to cover, for 30 minutes.
Drain and blend with the onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, red pepper and lime juice in a food processer.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the mixture for about 5 minutes, together with the fresh king prawns.
Season with salt to taste.