A Cuban Christmas Treat
Cuban Sweet Potato Purée - a Caribbean Pud!
- Prep: 45 minutes
- Cook: 2 hours
- Total time: 2 hour, 45 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Juice and zest of an orange
- Juice and zest of 1/2 a lime
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g sugar
- 20g butter
- Large pinch of salt
- Cube the sweet potatoes and add to a pan of boiling, salted water. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and allow to cook until tender. Once ready, mash (or blitz in a food processor).
- Meanwhile add the sugar, cinnamon stick, orange and lime (both zest and juice - but save a little zest for serving) to around a cup of water in a pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook for about ten minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and zest, carefully mix the mashed sweet potato. Cook slowly until it thickens into a reasonably stiff purée, beating with a wooden spoon as you go, then beat in the butter and vanilla extract. Allow to cool, then refrigerate.
- Serve cold in four individual dishes (or glasses), with a sprinkling of the reserved zest on top.
You may also like:
To add two lightly-beaten yolks to the mixture a couple of minutes before it is ready to produce a firmer purée - this is the typical version of the dish, while the egg-free variation is only eaten at Christmas.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Consultant
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is an invaluable part of our Group Tours team.
Lina Fuller - Travel Consultant
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Sophie Barber - Travel Consultant
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia.
Hannah Waterhouse - Travel Consultant
Hannah had an early introduction to Latin America when her family moved to Ecuador and she returned to study in Buenos Aires for a year before backpacking across the continent.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Consultant
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Consultant
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.