Vegan Enchiladas with Coriander and Avocado CreamSarah Bradley - Director
Our Real Latin America Expert
Sarah Bradley - Director
Managing Director Sarah Bradley joined as tour leader in 1987. Her vast travel experience and understanding of Latin America is invaluable. Book with Journey Latin America.
Sweet potato, black bean, spinach and pepper vegan enchiladas.
- Prep: 35 minutes
- Cook: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 handful sweet potato, chopped (or zucchini)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 handfuls spinach, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- Enchilada sauce or pasta sauce (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 - 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic power
- 1 tsp chilli powder, to taste
- 4 whole grain tortilla wraps
- Green onion & chopped cilantro, to garnish
Ingredients: Avocado cream
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- Salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F and grab a baking dish large enough for 4 enchiladas. Pre-cook the chopped sweet potato, by simmering it in a small pot of water for about 5 - 10 minutes until just tender. Do not overcook. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or pot, add 1 tbsp oil and bring to medium to low heat. Add in the chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until translucent. Add in garlic and reduce heat to low and cook for a couple more minutes. Now add the chopped pepper, pre-cooked sweet potato, drained black beans, and chopped spinach. Cook for about 5 - 7 more minutes on medium to low heat.
- Now add in your enchilada or pasta sauce. Stir well, and add in your seasonings: nutritional yeast (optional), cumin, fresh lime juice, salt, garlic powder, chilli powder - all to taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Stir well.
- Scoop about 3/4 - 1 cup of the mixture on to the bottom of your casserole dish and spread out in a thin layer. Scoop about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of the mixture onto each tortilla and wrap, placing the fold down on the casserole dish. Repeat for the remaining 3 tortillas and leave a bit of filling left to spread over the top. (Sprinkle with vegan cheese if preferred).
- Bake tortillas at 350F for 18 - 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make your avocado coriander cream by blending together all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
- When enchiladas are cooked, remove from oven and pour the remainder of your enchilada sauce over top. Serve with the avocado coriander cream and garnish with more chopped coriander and green onion.
- Season to taste and enjoy while they're hot!
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Expert
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is a much valued Travel Expert in our Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tours sales team.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Expert
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours sales team.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Ben Line - Travel Expert
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Head of Sales.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.
Sophie Barber - Travel Expert
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia and beyond to Antarctica.