This immensely popular cake in Latin American is a soft sponge cake soaked overnight in 3 types of milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk and double cream. There are also variations to the cake which involves the use of dolce de leite.
- Cook: 30-45 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
Ingredients for cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
Ingredients for syrup
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/2 cup double cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, stir it together and set aside.
- With a hand mixer whisk together the egg yolks and 3/4 of a cup of sugar till light and fluffy.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, vanilla extract and milk.
- Beat the egg white until soft peaks form them gradually add the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar, beating with the mixer on high until the whites are firm.
- Gently fold the whites into the yolk mixture.
- Pour the batter into the buttered baking dish, tten bake the cake for abour 30-45 minutes until it feels firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake completely cool in the baking dish.
- Once cool, pierce the cake all over with a fork, taking care to not tear it up.
- Pour in a pitcher the can of evaporated milk and condensed milk. To this mixture, add the double cream. Stir the mixture together.
- Slowly pour the mixture evenly over the top of the cake. Spoon the overflow back over the cake until it is all absorbed.
- Place in the refrigerator until the liquid absorbs into the cake overnight, or at least 3 hours.
Tip: Once ready to serve cover the cake with whipped cream and strawberries.