We've used prawns as the main ingredient here, but this dish is equally suited to fish, mixed seafood or even lobster.
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 5
- 1kg of shelled prawns
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 150ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons crushed almonds or cashew nuts
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons dendê oil (or use vegetable oil coloured with anatto or paprika as a substitute)
Salt to taste
- Juice of one lemon
- White rice
- Heat the vegetable oil and slowly fry the onion, garlic and red pepper on a low heat until soft and tender.
- Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, coriander and nuts and continue to simmer, gently mashing the mixture with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes until thick.
- Add salt to taste, then lay the prawns on top to cook in the steam for just a minute or two.
- Finish with dendê oil to give the dish its characteristic reddish colour before serving over rice.