Taco is a traditional Mexican dish which has taken the world by storm. It's an easy and practical choice for some family fun at dinner time.
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 25 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4-6
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced fine (alternately, you can add hot pepper sauce to taste or canned jalapenos OR just leave out the heat altogether, although I think the meat really needs a little kick and adding the jalapeno without seeds didn't make the dish overly spicy)
- Taco Shells
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and chopped onion. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat into smaller chunks, until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Off the heat, drain the grease from the meat.
- Return the pan to the heat and stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 30 seconds and then add the tomato sauce and jalapeno.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer the meat mixture for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in taco shells with your choice of toppings.