Chivito is Uruguay's national dish and meatlover's top choice.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 10 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4
- 4 very large sandwich buns (large ciabatta rolls are good)
- 2 beef filet steaks, or 4 thin slices of grilled steak
- 8 pieces of bacon
- 4 slices of deli ham
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon slices until crispy. Set aside on paper towels to cool.
- If using the filet steaks, drain the excess bacon fat out of the skillet. Slice each filet in halve crosswise, to make 2 thin steaks (4 total). Sprinkle with coarse salt, and use a mallet to pound the steaks even thinner.
- Heat the skillet over medium high heat until hot, and place steaks on the skillet. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until desired doneness. Remove to paper towels to cool.
- Wipe the skillet clean. Melt the butter in over medium heat, and fry eggs sunnyside up until desired doneness.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Assemble sandwiches: : Spread inside of buns with ketchup and mayonnaise. Place lettuce slices over bottom half of buns. Top with a slice of beef, 2 bacon slices, a slice of ham, a slice of tomato, and a slice of mozzarella.
- Place sandwiches (uncovered) under the broiler briefly (keeping a close eye on them) to melt the cheese. Remove from oven and add the fried egg over the cheese, then top with the other half of the bun. Serve immediately.