"These are a real staple in my household: so simple to whip up from just a few ingredients, and super tasty. We use a trick borrowed from Nigella to get those satisfying griddle marks on either side!"
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 very ripe avocados, chopped into thin slices water
- 150g mature cheddar, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion
- 2 red chillis, finely chopped
- Juice of a lime
- Fry the onion and chilli in olive oil until softened.
- Place the first of the tortillas on a flat surface and add a spoonful of the cooked onion and chilli, about a quarter of an avocado (chopped) and a sprinkling of cheese and lime juice to the middle of the bottom half only, so that it can be neatly folded in half like a turnover without any ingredients spilling out of the sides.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat (without oil). Meanwhile, fill a saucepan with heavy items such as bottles of sauce etc. Place the folded, filled tortilla on the griddle pan, then put the heavy saucepan on top to apply pressure. Cook for about two minutes, then turn and cover the other side with the pan for another minute or two. This should leave marks on either side, and the cheese should have melted the tortilla together.
- Keep warm (or just eat as you go!) and repeat process for the other seven tortillas.